تكساس

تكساس


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

ساهمت العديد من الرحلات الاستكشافية الإسبانية في الاستكشاف المبكر لتكساس ، بدءًا من عام 1519. تم إرسال الرحلات الاستكشافية مرارًا وتكرارًا في السنوات القليلة التالية ، ولكن لم يتم العثور على الذهب أبدًا. زار المستكشفون الفرنسيون تكساس في ثمانينيات القرن السادس عشر ، وادعى لا سال أن جزءًا كبيرًا من ولاية تكساس مطالبته الضخمة بالأرض لفرنسا. ومع ذلك ، تم حل قضية الحدود من خلال المعاهدة ، وبدأت أعداد متزايدة من المستوطنين الأمريكيين ، الذين تم الترحيب بهم في البداية ، تثير قلق المكسيك. تم إعلان الاستقلال وبعد الحرب التي شهدت الهزيمة في ألامو والنصر في معركة سان جاسينتو ، ظهرت تكساس كجمهورية. بعد الحرب المكسيكية من 1846 إلى 1848 ، تخلت المكسيك عن جميع مطالباتها بتكساس ، وعلى الرغم من أن تكساس انضمت إلى الكونفدرالية خلال الحرب الأهلية ، إلا أن هناك مشاعر مؤيدة للاتحاد في الولاية. دارت المعركة الأخيرة في الحرب الأهلية بالقرب من مصب نهر ريو غراندي من قبل جنود لم يكونوا على دراية بأن الحرب قد انتهت قبل شهر ، وخلال إعادة إعمار تكساس ، نشأ جدل قانوني بشأن الطبيعة القانونية لانفصال تكساس. وفقًا لمؤيديها ، كان انفصال تكساس عن الاتحاد لاغياً وباطلاً منذ البداية ، وبالتالي فإن جميع القوانين المستمدة من الانفصال وجميع العلاقات العامة والخاصة القائمة على تلك القوانين كانت باطلة بدورها. رفض هذا الموقف المتطرف ، وانقسم الجمهوريون ، حزب إعادة الإعمار ، بعمق لمدة ثلاث سنوات. في النهاية ، انتصرت المجموعة الأخيرة ، وإن كان ذلك مع بعض التنازلات ، واستمرت تكساس في النمو بسرعة. في سبعينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، تم دفع الماشية من تكساس إلى السوق على طول المسارات المؤدية إلى ميزوري وكانساس. بدءًا من اكتشاف حقل Spindletop النفطي في عام 1901 ، نمت صناعات البترول والغاز الطبيعي في تكساس لتصبح الأكبر في الولايات المتحدة. حاولت تكساس ، على غرار الولايات الجنوبية الأخرى ، تقييد حقوق التصويت للسود على الرغم من أحكام التعديل الخامس عشر يمنحهم حق الاقتراع. سنت تكساس قانونًا في عام 1923 ينص على أنه "لا يجوز بأي حال من الأحوال أن يكون الزنجي مؤهلاً للمشاركة في الانتخابات التمهيدية للحزب الديمقراطي التي تُجرى في ولاية تكساس". في الجنوب ذي الحزب الواحد ، كانت الانتخابات التمهيدية للحزب الديمقراطي بمثابة انتخابات عامة ، لذا فإن هذه القاعدة تحرم فعليًا السود من حق التصويت في تكساس. في عام 1927 ، حكمت المحكمة العليا في قضية نيكسون ضد هيرندون، مع كتابة أوليفر ويندل هولمز للرأي ، أن قانون تكساس ينتهك التعديل الخامس عشر.


انظر أيضًا أندروز وتكساس وتكساس.


الجدول الزمني لتاريخ تكساس - 50 حدثًا شكل تكساس

لقد جمعنا مخططًا زمنيًا لأهم 50 حدثًا تاريخيًا شكلت ولاية تكساس العظيمة. بدون هذه الأحداث ، قد تبدو تكساس مختلفة كثيرًا عما هي عليه اليوم.

الاستكشاف والتطوير المبكر

قبل 1500 - قبل وصول المستكشفين الأوروبيين الأوائل ، احتلت قبائل عديدة من هنود تكساس المنطقة الواقعة بين نهر ريو غراندي في الجنوب والنهر الأحمر في الشمال.

منتصف 1519 - ألونسو ألفاريز دي بينيدا ، مغامر إسباني ، أبحر من قاعدة في جامايكا ليصبح أول أوروبي معروف لاستكشاف ورسم خريطة ساحل تكساس.

نوفمبر 1528 - تحطمت سفينة كابيزا دي فاكا على ما يُعتقد اليوم أنه جزيرة جالفستون. بعد التجارة في المنطقة لنحو ست سنوات ، اكتشف لاحقًا المناطق الداخلية في تكساس في طريقه إلى المكسيك.

1540-1542- بحثًا عن مدن سيبولا السبع الأسطورية ، قاد فرانسيسكو فاسكيز دي كورونادو رحلة استكشافية إلى جنوب غرب الولايات المتحدة الحالي وعبر شمال تكساس.

18 فبراير 1685 -أسس روبرت كافيلير ، سيور دي لاسال ، حصن سانت لويس في خليج ماتاجوردا ، وشكل الأساس لمطالبة فرنسا بتكساس. بعد ذلك بعامين ، قُتل لاسال على يد رجاله.

22 أبريل 1689 - خلال رحلة استكشافية مخططة لإعادة تأسيس الوجود الإسباني في تكساس ، وصل المستكشف المكسيكي ألونسو دي ليون إلى حصن سانت لويس ووجدها مهجورة ،

1716-1789 - طوال القرن الثامن عشر ، أنشأت إسبانيا بعثات كاثوليكية في تكساس بالإضافة إلى مدن سان أنطونيو وجولياد وناكوغدوش.

8 أغسطس 1812 - عبرت بعثة جوتيريز ماجي مع حوالي 130 رجلاً نهر سابين من لويزيانا في حركة تمرد ضد الحكم الإسباني في تكساس.

1817-1820 - احتل جان لافيت جزيرة جالفستون واستخدمها كقاعدة لعمليات التهريب والقرصنة.

٣ يناير ١٨٢٣ -تلقى ستيفن ف.أوستن منحة من الحكومة المكسيكية وبدأ الاستعمار في منطقة نهر برازوس.

منتصف 1824 - أعطى دستور 1824 المكسيك شكلاً جمهوريًا للحكومة. ومع ذلك ، فقد فشلت في تحديد حقوق الدول داخل الجمهورية ، بما في ذلك ولاية تكساس.

6 أبريل 1830 - وصلت العلاقات بين تكساس والمكسيك إلى مستوى منخفض جديد عندما منعت المكسيك المزيد من الهجرة إلى تكساس من قبل المستوطنين من الولايات المتحدة.

26 يونيو 1832 - أسفرت معركة فيلاسكو عن أول ضحايا في علاقات تكساس بالمكسيك. بعد عدة أيام من القتال ، أُجبر المكسيكيون بقيادة دومينغو دي أوغارتيشيا على الاستسلام بسبب نقص الذخيرة.

1832-1833 - أدى عدم الرضا عن سياسات الحكومة في مكسيكو سيتي إلى اتفاقية عام 1832 واتفاقية عام 1833 في تكساس.

الثورة والجمهورية

2 أكتوبر 1835 - دك تكساس قوات سلاح الفرسان المكسيكي في معركة غونزاليس. بدأت الثورة.

9 أكتوبر 1835 - انتهت حملة جالاد عام 1835 عندما اقتحم جورج كولينجسوورث وبن ميلام وتسعة وأربعون آخرون من تكساس الرئاسة في جالاد وقوات صغيرة من المدافعين المكسيكيين.

28 أكتوبر 1835 -هزم جيم بوي وجيمس فانين و 90 من تكساس 450 مكسيكيًا في معركة كونسيبسيون بالقرب من سان أنطونيو.

3 نوفمبر 1835 - اجتمعت المشاورة للنظر في الخيارات المتعلقة بالحكم الذاتي لتكساس. وثيقة تعرف باسم القانون الأساسي حددت تنظيم ووظائف الحكومة المؤقتة الجديدة.

8 نوفمبر 1835 - فاز تكساس في معركة العشب بالقرب من سان أنطونيو بقيادة جيم بوي وإد بورليسون. لكن بدلًا من الفضة ، اكتسب تكساس فضلًا لا قيمة له من العشب.

11 ديسمبر 1835 -استسلم المكسيكيون بقيادة الجنرال كوس سان أنطونيو إلى تكساس بعد حصار بيكسار. قُتل بن ملام أثناء الحصار الممتد.

٢ مارس ١٨٣٦ - تم التوقيع على إعلان استقلال تكساس من قبل أعضاء اتفاقية عام 1836 مؤقتا تم تشكيل الحكومة لجمهورية تكساس التي تم إنشاؤها حديثًا.

٦ مارس ١٨٣٦ - تكساس تحت قيادة الكولونيل ويليام ب. ترافيس طغى عليها الجيش المكسيكي بعد حصار دام أسبوعين في معركة ألامو في سان أنطونيو. بدأ الهارب كشط.

١٠ مارس ١٨٣٦ - تخلى سام هيوستن عن غونزاليس في تراجع عام باتجاه الشرق لتجنب غزو الجيش المكسيكي.

٢٧ مارس ١٨٣٦ -تم إعدام جيمس فانين وما يقرب من 400 من تكساس على يد المكسيكيين في مذبحة جالاد ، بأمر من سانتا آنا.

21 أبريل 1836 - تكساس تحت قيادة سام هيوستن هزم القوات المكسيكية لسانتا آنا في معركة سان جاسينتو. وهكذا نال الاستقلال في واحدة من أكثر المعارك حسماً في التاريخ.

نوفمبر ١٨٣٩ - اجتمع كونغرس تكساس لأول مرة في أوستن ، الموقع الحدودي الذي تم اختياره لعاصمة الجمهورية.

11 أغسطس 1840 - أنهت معركة بلوم كريك ، بالقرب من لوكهارت الحالية ، التحدي الأكثر جرأة والأكثر اختراقًا للكومانتش لجمهورية تكساس.

يونيو 1841 - انطلقت رحلة تكساس سانتا في الاستكشافية إلى نيو مكسيكو. بالقرب من سانتي في ، اعترضتهم القوات المكسيكية وساروا 2000 ميل إلى السجن في مكسيكو سيتي.

٥ مارس ١٨٤٢ - غزت قوة مكسيكية قوامها أكثر من 500 رجل بقيادة رافائيل فاسكيز تكساس لأول مرة منذ الثورة. احتلوا سان أنطونيو لفترة وجيزة ، لكن سرعان ما عادوا إلى ريو غراندي.

11 سبتمبر 1842 - تم القبض على سان أنطونيو مرة أخرى ، هذه المرة بواسطة 1400 جندي مكسيكي بقيادة أدريان وول. مرة أخرى ، تراجع المكسيكيون ، لكن هذه المرة مع السجناء.

خريف 1842 - سمح سام هيوستن لألكسندر سومرفيل بقيادة غارة انتقامية على المكسيك. ومع ذلك ، تم حل بعثة سومرفيل الناتجة بعد الاستيلاء لفترة وجيزة على مدينتي لاريدو وجيريو الحدوديتين.

20 ديسمبر 1842 - انطلق نحو 300 من أفراد قوة سومرفيل لمواصلة الغارات على المكسيك. بعد عشرة أيام و 20 ميلاً ، استسلمت بعثة مير المنكوبة في بلدة مير المكسيكية.

29 ديسمبر 1842 - بأوامر من سام هيوستن ، وصل المسؤولون إلى أوستن لإزالة سجلات جمهورية تكساس إلى مدينة هيوستن ، مما أدى إلى اندلاع حرب المحفوظات غير الدموية.

25 مارس 1843 - تم إعدام سبعة عشر شخصًا من تكساس في ما أصبح يُعرف بحلقة الفاصوليا السوداء ، والتي نتجت عن رحلة مير ، وهي واحدة من عدة غارات شنها تكساس على المكسيك.

27 مايو 1843 - وصلت رحلة Snively Expedition التابعة لولاية تكساس إلى سانتا في تريل ، متوقعين الاستيلاء على العربات المكسيكية التي تعبر الأراضي التي تطالب بها ولاية تكساس. ومع ذلك ، توقفت الحملة عندما تدخلت القوات الأمريكية.

الدولة وما بعدها

29 ديسمبر 1845 -تابع الرئيس الأمريكي جيمس بولك من خلال منصة حملته واعدًا بضم تكساس ووقع تشريعًا يجعل تكساس الولاية الثامنة والعشرين للولايات المتحدة.

25 أبريل 1846 -اشتعلت الحرب المكسيكية الأمريكية نتيجة الخلافات حول المطالبات بحدود تكساس. أدت نتيجة الحرب إلى تثبيت الحدود الجنوبية لتكساس عند نهر ريو غراندي.

25 نوفمبر 1850 -في خطة لتسوية النزاعات الحدودية ودفع ديونها العامة ، تخلت تكساس عن حوالي ثلث أراضيها في تسوية عام 1850 ، مقابل 10000000 دولار من الولايات المتحدة.

مايو 1852 - يرمز معرض لون ستار ستيت الأول في كوربوس كريستي إلى فترة ازدهار نسبي في تكساس خلال خمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر. أقنع المنظم هنري إل كيني الدكتور أشبل سميث ليكون مدير المعرض.

29 أبريل 1856 - بدعم من الجيش الامريكي وصلت شحنة من 32 جملا الى ميناء انديانولا. استخدمت تجربة تكساس الجمل الناتجة الحيوانات لنقل الإمدادات عبر "الصحراء الأمريكية الكبرى".

١ فبراير ١٨٦١ - انفصلت تكساس عن الاتحاد الفيدرالي بعد تصويت 171 مقابل 6 من قبل اتفاقية الانفصال. كان الحاكم سام هيوستن واحدًا من أقلية صغيرة تعارض الانفصال.

22 أكتوبر 1861 - تحركت الوحدات المتقدمة من لواء الجنرال إتش إتش سيبلي المشكل حديثًا غربًا من سان أنطونيو للمطالبة بنيو مكسيكو والجنوب الغربي الأمريكي لصالح الكونفدرالية.

١ يناير ١٨٦٣ - بعد عدة أسابيع من الاحتلال الفيدرالي لأهم ميناء بحري في تكساس ، أعادت معركة جالفستون السيطرة على الجزيرة إلى تكساس لما تبقى من الحرب الأهلية.

١٣ مايو ١٨٦٥ - آخر مشاركة برية في الحرب الأهلية كانت في معركة بالميتو رانش في أقصى جنوب تكساس ، بعد أكثر من شهر من استسلام الجنرال لي في أبوماتوكس بولاية فيرجينيا.

1866 - كانت وفرة الماشية ذات القرون الطويلة في جنوب تكساس وعودة الجنود الكونفدراليين إلى اقتصاد إعادة الإعمار السيئ بمثابة بداية لعصر رحلات درب تكساس إلى الأسواق الشمالية.

30 مارس 1870 - أعاد كونغرس الولايات المتحدة قبول تكساس في الاتحاد. ومع ذلك ، استمرت إعادة الإعمار لمدة أربع سنوات أخرى.

17 يناير 1874 -انتهى نزاع كوكا ديفيز بسلام في أوستن حيث تخلى إي جيه ديفيس عن منصب الحاكم. بدأ ريتشارد كوك سلالة حزبية ديمقراطية في تكساس استمرت دون انقطاع لأكثر من 100 عام.

4 أكتوبر 1876 - يُعرف الآن باسم Texas A & ampM ، وكان افتتاح الكلية الزراعية والميكانيكية في تكساس بمثابة أول مشروع للولاية في مجال التعليم العالي العام. بلغ مجموع الرسوم الدراسية 10 دولارات لكل فصل دراسي.

15 سبتمبر 1883 - افتتحت جامعة تكساس أبوابها في أوستن لجلستها الافتتاحية. تم تقديم الدورات الأولى في القسم الأكاديمي وقسم القانون.

١٦ مايو ١٨٨٨ - أنهى تكريس عاصمة الولاية الحالية في أوستن سبع سنوات من التخطيط والبناء. تم تمويل المبنى بـ 3،000،000 فدان من الأراضي في شمال تكساس.

20 يناير 1891 - استنادًا إلى منصة حملة تدعو إلى تنظيم السكك الحديدية والشركات الكبرى ، تولى جيمس هوغ منصبه كأول حاكم مولود في تكساس.

10 يناير 1901 - أدى اكتشاف "الذهب الأسود" في حقل سبيندلتوب النفطي بالقرب من بومونت إلى إطلاق ولاية تكساس في قرن من التنقيب عن النفط والإلكترونيات والسفر المأهول إلى الفضاء.


ثقافة تكساس وحقائق مثيرة للاهتمام

ولاية لون ستار

تشتهر تكساس بشعورها بالهوية المحلية واستقلالها. تضع Lone Star State علاوة على تاريخها وتقاليدها الفريدة. تأتي مدينة الملاهي Six Flags من ولاية تكساس ، وقد سميت على اسم الأعلام الستة التي رفعت فوق تكساس ، وإسبانيا ، وفرنسا ، والمكسيك ، وجمهورية تكساس ، والولايات المتحدة الأمريكية ، والولايات المتحدة الأمريكية. يحظى مخطط تكساس بشعبية في السلع الاستهلاكية مثل أبازيم الحزام ومكاوي الوافل. في العقود العديدة الماضية ، أصبح الشعار البيئي "لا تعبثوا بتكساس" شعارًا لفخر تكساس. وأكثر من أي دولة أخرى ، لا تزال هناك اليوم حركة بارزة لاستقلال تكساس عن الولايات المتحدة.

عاصمة الموسيقى الحية في العالم

تشتهر مدينة أوستن بولاية تكساس بشعارها "عاصمة الموسيقى الحية في العالم". يوجد في أوستن حفلات موسيقية حية للفرد أكثر من أي مدينة أخرى في الولايات المتحدة. تشير التقديرات إلى أنه في ليلة معينة في أوستن ، يوجد 100 عرض موسيقى حية ، تغطي مجموعة واسعة من الأنواع. يعود تاريخ موسيقى أوستن إلى القرن التاسع عشر ، لكنه بدأ بالفعل في الستينيات. افتتحت المدينة العديد من الأماكن الكبيرة ، وأقامت مشهدًا موسيقيًا ريفيًا بديلًا من الموسيقيين التقليديين المتمركزين حول ناشفيل. يوجد في المدينة اليوم مشاهد رئيسية للفنون الشعبية والريفية والجاز وتيجانو والزيديكو والبانك والموسيقى الهندية.

تربية المواشي في ولاية تكساس

يُنظر إلى راعي البقر على نطاق واسع على أنه رمز ولاية تكساس. في حين أن رعاة البقر في الغرب القديم ليسوا شائعين في تكساس اليوم ، إلا أنها لا تزال عاصمة تربية المواشي في الولايات المتحدة. تكساس هي أكبر منتج للصوف في البلاد ، ولديها أيضًا قطعان ضخمة من الماشية. King Ranch في تكساس أكبر من ولاية رود آيلاند ، وتضم أكثر من 35000 رأس من الماشية. تمتد ثقافة تربية المواشي إلى مناطق أخرى من الحياة في تكساس ، مما يؤثر على الموضة والترفيه؟ روديو ، وهي رياضة تختبر مهارات تربية المواشي المختلفة مثل ربط الماشية وركوب الحيوانات المخالفة ، وهي الرياضة الرسمية لولاية تكساس.

مطبخ تكس مكس

ربما يكون أكبر مصدر ثقافي لتكساس إلى بقية البلاد هو طعامها. ينشأ طعام Tex-Mex مع عدد كبير من السكان الأمريكيين المكسيكيين (المعروفين أيضًا باسم Tejanos) ، خاصة على طول الحدود الجنوبية مع المكسيك. مطبخ Tex-Mex ، مثل المطبخ المكسيكي الشمالي ، هو مزيج من الطعام الإسباني مع تقاليد الطعام المحلية ، وغالبًا ما يستخدم المكونات المتعلقة بصناعة تربية المواشي. بعد الستينيات من القرن الماضي ، أصبح Tex-Mex أكثر أمركة بمكونات مثل الجبن الأصفر ، وأصبح أكثر شعبية في جميع أنحاء البلاد. اليوم ، يدر الطعام المكسيكي (تكس مكس أمريكي إلى حد كبير) أكثر من 40 مليار دولار سنويًا في الولايات المتحدة.

سكان تكساس الأصليون والمقيمون المشهورون

ألفين أيليمصمم الرقصات
ويس أندرسونالمخرج
ماري كاي آشمقاول مستحضرات التجميل
ستيفن فولر أوستنالأب المؤسس لتكساس
جين أوتريمغني وممثل
كارول بورنيتكوميدية
جورج دبليو بوشرئيس
سيد تشاريسالممثلة والراقصة
دنتون أ. كوليجراح قلب
جوان كروفوردممثلة
دوايت ديفيد ايزنهاوررئيس
توم فوردمصمم ، مخرج
إيه جي فويتمتسابق السيارات
بن هوجانلاعب الجولف
سام هيوستنرجل دولة

هوارد هيوزمنتج سينمائي وصناعي
جاك جونسونملاكم
ليندون جونسونرئيس
جورج جونزمغني
تومي لي جونزالممثل
جانيس جوبلينمغني
سكوت جوبلينملحن
بيونسيه نولزمغني / مؤدي
تريني لوبيزمغني
ماري مارتنالمغني والممثلة
ماثيو ماكنويالممثل
سبانكي مكفارلاندالممثل
أودي ميرفيالممثل وبطل الحرب
تشيستر نيميتزأميرال
ساندرا داي أوكونورفقيه

باك أوينزمغني
سيلينامغني
لو دايموند فيليبسالممثل
كاثرين آن بورترالروائي
وايلي بوستطيار
دان راذرالمذيع التلفزيوني
روبرت روشنبرغدهان
تكس ريترمغني
روبرت رودريغيزفيميكر
ريب تورنالممثل والمخرج
تومي تونراقصة ومصممة رقصات
ستيفي راي فونموسيقي او عازف
لوب فيليزممثلة
دولي ويلسونممثل وموسيقي
بيب ديدريكسون زاهارياسرياضي ولاعب غولف.


ال كتيب تكساس كانت من بنات أفكار رئيس TSHA السابق والتر بريسكوت ويب ، الذي أعلن بجرأة أنه سيكون "إشارة إلى أي موضوع عمليًا في تاريخ تكساس." الأولي كتيب تم نشره كمجلدين تم وضعه في عام 1952 ، مع مجلد إضافي نُشر في عام 1976.

اليوم هو كتيب متصل بالكامل عبر الإنترنت ويتضمن 27346 مدخلًا موسوعيًا عن الأشخاص المؤثرين والعصور والأحداث في تاريخ تكساس. يعمل طاقم المحررين التابع لها باستمرار على إضافة وتحديث الإدخالات لضمان دقتها وشمولها.


كتيب تكساس

ال كتيب تكساس هي موسوعة حكومية رقمية طورتها جمعية ولاية تكساس التاريخية (TSHA) وهي مجانية ومتاحة على الإنترنت للطلاب والمعلمين والعلماء وعامة الناس. ال كتيب يتكون من نظرة عامة وإدخالات عامة وسيرة ذاتية تركز على التاريخ الكامل لتكساس من الأمريكيين الأصليين وعصر ما قبل التاريخ إلى تنوع سكان الولاية والعصر الحديث. تؤكد هذه الإدخالات على الدور الذي لعبه تكساس في تاريخ الدولة والوطني والعالمي. يقوم TSHA باستمرار بتوسيع نطاق كتيب من خلال مشاريع خاصة متعددة السنوات تركز على مواضيع متنوعة للحفاظ على تاريخ جميع سكان تكساس. في عام 2016 كتيب شهد موقع الويب 10454137 مشاهدة للصفحة مع 4657707 مستخدمًا فريدًا من 201 دولة وإقليم ، مما يجعله ليس موردًا في تكساس فحسب ، بل مصدرًا عالميًا.

ال كتيب تكساس بدأ المشروع في عام 1939 كجهد بقيادة الأستاذ في جامعة تكساس والتر بريسكوت ويب للحفاظ على تاريخ تكساس وإنشاء "أكثر الكتب المفيدة التي تم نشرها في تكساس على الإطلاق". اعترف ويب بأن هدفه قد يكون "حلمًا مستحيلًا" ، لكن قيادته سهلت التمويل والتوظيف ونشر المجلد الأصلي المكون من مجلدين كتيب في عام 1952 مع مجلد ثالث إضافي في عام 1976. ركزت جامعة تكساس في أوستن على منحة دراسية تركز على تاريخ تكساس وحافظت على علاقة مستمرة مع TSHA من خلال توفير مساحة مكتبية وتوظيف أعضاء هيئة التدريس بالجامعة. في عام 1996 ستة مجلدات كتيب تضمنت 23،640 إدخالاً و 687 رسمًا توضيحيًا في 6،945 صفحة. أدركت القيادة في TSHA نمو أجهزة الكمبيوتر الشخصية واختارت تجاوز قرص مضغوط تفاعلي لصالح رقمنة الكل كتيب للنشر على الإنترنت. ال كتيب تكساس اون لاين تم إطلاقه في فبراير 1999 وكان من بين الموسوعات الرقمية الأولى التي يمكن الوصول إليها مجانًا على الإنترنت لعامة الناس.

ال كتيب يتضمن حاليًا 27346 مدخلًا موسوعيًا. تمت كتابة هذه الإدخالات من قبل المؤرخين والمتخصصين المتطوعين ، ومراجعتها من قبل موظفي TSHA ، وفحصها العلماء ، واعتمادها من قبل كبير المؤرخين TSHA قبل الظهور على الإنترنت. إن تطوير الإدخالات الجديدة مدفوع بالأحداث الجارية ، واقتراحات المستخدمين ، والتعريف الداخلي للموضوعات المفقودة ، والتي تتم مراجعتها من قبل كبير المؤرخين للنظر فيها. تتم مراجعة الإدخالات الحالية أو تحديثها باستمرار وفقًا لاقتراحات المستخدم وجدول المراجعة الروتيني. يستخدم المؤلفون المصادر الثانوية والأولية مثل الكتب وسجلات التعداد والصحف وسجلات الخدمة العسكرية والنوعات واليوميات والرسائل لصياغة إدخالات دقيقة تاريخياً. يتم تجميع المصادر في ببليوغرافيا وتحديثها بانتظام لتزويد القراء بأحدث المنح الدراسية. ال كتيب يقوم المحررون بمراجعة الحقائق ونسخها وتنسيقها باستخدام لغة مناسبة للمستخدمين بدءًا من المدرسة الإعدادية إلى الكلية.

ال كتيب بدأ كمصدر مرجعي مطبوع بدون صور ، لكن التوسع إلى ستة مجلدات شمل إضافة صور فوتوغرافية ورسوم إيضاحية أخرى. ال كتيب أدرك الموظفون الحاجة إلى تحديث النظام الرقمي كتيب بالوسائط المناسبة ، مثل الصور ومقاطع الفيديو والصوت والخرائط التفاعلية. يتضمن الموظفون الآن وسائط مع كل إدخال جديد وقد أضافوا وسائط إلى الإدخالات الأكثر مشاهدة. نتيجة لذلك ، فإن كتيب يتضمن الآن آلاف الصور ومئات العينات الصوتية وعشرات مقاطع الفيديو من TSHA محادثات تكساس ندوات عبر الإنترنت. تحدد التسميات التوضيحية لوسائل الإعلام العنوان ومالك حقوق النشر وموقع الوسائط ، بالإضافة إلى رابط المصدر الأصلي. قام الموظفون بتعطيل ميزة النقر بزر الماوس الأيمن داخل ملف كتيب موقع إلكتروني للحد من استنساخ الصور وتشجيع المستخدمين على زيارة المستودعات والأرشيفات الرقمية المشاركة للوصول إليها وإعادة نشرها. قامت TSHA بتجميع كتب إلكترونية ترويجية مؤلفة من كتيب ركزت الإدخالات على مجموعة متنوعة من الموضوعات بما في ذلك: الأمريكيون الأفارقة ، والحرب الأهلية ، وتيجانوس ، وثورة تكساس ، والمرأة ، والموسيقى في تكساس. بالإضافة إلى، كتيب المحتوى سهّل تطوير تكساس يوما بيوم، وهو برنامج يوفر تحديثات يومية لأجهزة الكمبيوتر والأجهزة اللوحية والهواتف الذكية للمستخدمين على الأشخاص البارزين والأماكن والأحداث في تاريخ تكساس.

بعد أكثر من 69 عامًا كتيب يواصل المشروع تعزيز المنح الدراسية وتشجيع دراسة تاريخ تكساس. TSHA و كتيب يتعاون الموظفون مع الجمعيات التاريخية داخل تكساس وعبر الولايات المتحدة لتعزيز دراسة تاريخ الولاية والتاريخ المحلي. ال كتيب يوفر المشروع فرصًا لطلاب الدراسات العليا والمؤرخين العاديين والعلماء والأساتذة للحفاظ على التاريخ من خلال البحث وتأليف إدخالات موجزة للأغراض التعليمية وتحسين المجتمع. ال كتيب يتم اقتباس الإدخالات في آلاف الكتب والمقالات والأفلام الوثائقية وصفحات الويب مثل ويكيبيديا، مكتبة المراجع التشريعية في تكساس ، البحث عن القبر ، والنسب. لا يمكن أن يتخيل البروفيسور ويب الطرق التي يمكن بها لـ كتيب لقد نما وتغير بمرور الوقت ، لكنه بالتأكيد سيكون سعيدًا لأن الطلب العام على المنح الدراسية لا يزال قوياً للغاية. نحن نسعى جاهدين لضمان كتيب يظل متاحًا وشاملًا ودقيقًا ويلبي المعايير العلمية الحالية.

ال كتيب تكساس بدأ المشروع في عام 1939 كجهد بقيادة الأستاذ في جامعة تكساس والتر بريسكوت ويب للحفاظ على تاريخ تكساس وإنشاء "أكثر الكتب المفيدة التي تم نشرها في تكساس على الإطلاق". اعترف ويب بأن هدفه قد يكون "حلمًا مستحيلًا" ، لكن قيادته سهلت التمويل والتوظيف ونشر المجلد الأصلي المكون من مجلدين كتيب في عام 1952 بمجلد ثالث إضافي في عام 1976. دعمت جامعة تكساس في أوستن منحة دراسية تركز على تاريخ تكساس وحافظت على علاقة مستمرة مع TSHA من خلال توفير مساحة مكتبية وتوظيف أعضاء هيئة التدريس بالجامعة. في عام 1996 ستة مجلدات كتيب تضمنت 23،640 إدخالاً و 687 رسمًا توضيحيًا في 6،945 صفحة. أدركت القيادة في TSHA نمو أجهزة الكمبيوتر الشخصية واختارت تجاوز قرص مضغوط تفاعلي لصالح رقمنة الكل كتيب للنشر على الإنترنت. ال كتيب تكساس اون لاين تم إطلاقه في فبراير 1999 وكان من بين الموسوعات الرقمية الأولى التي يمكن الوصول إليها مجانًا على الإنترنت لعامة الناس.

ال كتيب يتضمن حاليًا 27346 مدخلًا موسوعيًا. تمت كتابة هذه الإدخالات من قبل المؤرخين والمتخصصين المتطوعين ، ومراجعتها من قبل موظفي TSHA ، وفحصها العلماء ، واعتمادها من قبل كبير المؤرخين TSHA قبل الظهور على الإنترنت. إن تطوير الإدخالات الجديدة مدفوع بالأحداث الجارية ، واقتراحات المستخدمين ، والتعريف الداخلي للموضوعات المفقودة ، والتي تتم مراجعتها من قبل كبير المؤرخين للنظر فيها. تتم مراجعة الإدخالات الحالية أو تحديثها باستمرار وفقًا لاقتراحات المستخدم وجدول المراجعة الروتيني. يستخدم المؤلفون المصادر الثانوية والأولية مثل الكتب وسجلات التعداد والصحف وسجلات الخدمة العسكرية والنوعات واليوميات والرسائل لصياغة إدخالات دقيقة تاريخياً. يتم تجميع المصادر في ببليوغرافيا وتحديثها بانتظام لتزويد القراء بأحدث المنح الدراسية. ال كتيب يقوم المحررون بمراجعة الحقائق ونسخها وتنسيقها باستخدام لغة مناسبة للمستخدمين بدءًا من المدرسة الإعدادية إلى الكلية.

ال كتيب بدأ كمصدر مرجعي مطبوع بدون صور ، لكن التوسع إلى ستة مجلدات شمل إضافة صور فوتوغرافية ورسوم إيضاحية أخرى. ال كتيب أدرك الموظفون الحاجة إلى تحديث النظام الرقمي كتيب بالوسائط المناسبة ، مثل الصور ومقاطع الفيديو والصوت والخرائط التفاعلية. يتضمن الموظفون الآن وسائط مع كل إدخال جديد وقد أضافوا وسائط إلى الإدخالات الأكثر مشاهدة. نتيجة لذلك ، فإن كتيب يتضمن الآن آلاف الصور ومئات العينات الصوتية وعشرات مقاطع الفيديو من TSHA محادثات تكساس ندوات عبر الإنترنت. تحدد التسميات التوضيحية لوسائل الإعلام العنوان ومالك حقوق النشر وموقع الوسائط ، بالإضافة إلى رابط المصدر الأصلي. قام الموظفون بتعطيل ميزة النقر بزر الماوس الأيمن داخل ملف كتيب موقع إلكتروني للحد من استنساخ الصور وتشجيع المستخدمين على زيارة المستودعات والأرشيفات الرقمية المشاركة للوصول إليها وإعادة نشرها. قامت TSHA بتجميع كتب إلكترونية ترويجية مؤلفة من كتيب ركزت الإدخالات على مجموعة متنوعة من الموضوعات بما في ذلك: الأمريكيون الأفارقة ، والحرب الأهلية ، وتيجانوس ، وثورة تكساس ، والمرأة ، والموسيقى في تكساس. بالإضافة إلى، كتيب المحتوى سهّل تطوير تكساس يوما بيوم، وهو برنامج يوفر تحديثات يومية لأجهزة الكمبيوتر والأجهزة اللوحية والهواتف الذكية للمستخدمين على الأشخاص البارزين والأماكن والأحداث في تاريخ تكساس.

بعد أكثر من 69 عامًا كتيب يواصل المشروع تعزيز المنح الدراسية وتشجيع دراسة تاريخ تكساس. TSHA و كتيب يتعاون الموظفون مع الجمعيات التاريخية داخل تكساس وعبر الولايات المتحدة لتعزيز دراسة تاريخ الولاية والتاريخ المحلي. ال كتيب يوفر المشروع فرصًا لطلاب الدراسات العليا والمؤرخين العاديين والعلماء والأساتذة للحفاظ على التاريخ من خلال البحث وتأليف إدخالات موجزة للأغراض التعليمية وتحسين المجتمع. ال كتيب يتم اقتباس الإدخالات في آلاف الكتب والمقالات والأفلام الوثائقية وصفحات الويب مثل ويكيبيديا، مكتبة المراجع التشريعية في تكساس ، البحث عن القبر ، والنسب. لم يكن بإمكان البروفيسور ويب تخيل الطرق التي يمكن بها لـ كتيب لقد نما وتغير بمرور الوقت ، لكنه بالتأكيد سيكون سعيدًا لأن الطلب العام على المنح الدراسية لا يزال قوياً للغاية. نحن نسعى جاهدين لضمان كتيب يظل متاحًا وشاملًا ودقيقًا ويلبي المعايير العلمية الحالية.


تكساس - التاريخ

225 مليون ق. إلى 65 مليون قبل الميلاد

ما لا يقل عن 16 نوعًا من الديناصورات جابت تكساس منذ 225 مليون سنة إلى حوالي 65 مليون سنة ، وفي ذلك الوقت اختفت الديناصورات. . . . (أكثر)

الاستكشاف الأوروبي والتنمية

30 أبريل - أقيم خوان دي أونات ، أعضاء بعثته وأبناء المنطقة ، احتفالًا بعيد الشكر بالقرب من إل باسو الحالية. يقدم الإسبان الطرائد والهنود يزودون الأسماك بالعيد ، ويحتفل المبشرون الفرنسيسكان بالقداس ، ويدعي أونيت أن جميع الأراضي التي استنزفتها ريو غراندي باسم الملك فيليب الثاني ملك إسبانيا. . . . (أكثر)

الثورة وجمهورية تكساس

6 مارس - ينتهي حصار ألامو الذي استمر 13 يومًا بقيادة سانتا آنا في مثل هذا اليوم بمعركة قتل فيها جميع المدافعين المتبقين. . . . (أكثر)

الضم والدولة

25 نوفمبر - وقع حاكم تكساس على تسوية عام 1850 ، حيث تتخلى تكساس عن مطالبتها بالأرض التي تضم أكثر من نصف ما يعرف الآن بنيو مكسيكو ، وحوالي ثلث كولورادو ، وركن من كنساس ، وأوكلاهوما بانهاندل ، و جزء صغير من وايومنغ في مقابل تحمل الولايات المتحدة 10 ملايين دولار من الديون تحتفظ تكساس بأراضيها العامة. . . . (أكثر)

الانفصال والحرب الأهلية

13 فبراير - أمر روبرت إي لي بالعودة إلى واشنطن من مقر قيادة الفوج في فورت ماسون لتولي قيادة جيش الاتحاد. بدلاً من ذلك ، استقال لي من مهمته وتولى قيادة القوات الكونفدرالية بحلول يونيو 1862.. . . (أكثر)


سجناء الاتحاد من معسكر فورد بالقرب من تايلر. مكتبة الكونجرس.

إعادة الإعمار في القرن العشرين

بدأت رحلات الماشية ، التي كانت عرضية في ثلاثينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، بشكل متقطع خلال أربعينيات وخمسينيات القرن التاسع عشر ، ولم تكن موجودة تقريبًا خلال الحرب الأهلية ، بشكل جدي ، في الغالب إلى الأسواق ورؤوس السكك الحديدية في الغرب الأوسط. لقد وصلوا إلى ذروتهم لمدة 20 عامًا فقط ، إلى أن جعلها انتشار السكك الحديدية غير ضروري. . . . (أكثر)

"Branding Cattle on the Texas Prairie" ، بقلم جيمس إي تايلور ، ١٨٦٧. مكتبة الكونغرس.

القرن العشرين

10 كانون الثاني (يناير) - قام مهندس المناجم الكابتن إيه إف لوكاس بالحفر في سبيندلتوب بالقرب من بومونت ، وهو يقذف بولاية تكساس إلى عصر البترول. . . . (أكثر)


حقل نفط في مقاطعة ويتشيتا.

تكساس - التاريخ

خريطة توضح موقع المقر. معظمها كانت متجاورة أو غير متجاورة. اضغط للتكبير.

بواسطة مايك كوكس

On July 16, 1820, Canary Island immigrant Juan Ignacio Perez sat before the proper officials in the Spanish city of San Antonio de Bexar and executed his last will and testament. The document the 59-year-old Perez signed included a declaration that he owned a substantial amount of property along the Medina River in what is now southern Bexar County.

Col. Perez possessed four leagues of land on one side of the river and another league on the opposite side awarded to him by Gov. Manuel María de Salcedo for his service in the Spanish military. A Spanish unit of measurement, a league amounted to 4,428.4 acres. That meant Perez had 22,142 acres.

&ldquoOn this [land],&rdquo the will further recorded, &ldquothere is a stone house and wooden corrals. . . . On these pasture lands there is some large stock both branded and unbranded, which I consider part of the property.&rdquo The veteran Indian fighter also owned &ldquoall the horses and mules marked with my brand. . . . &rdquo

Perez acquired his first league in 1794 and the other four in 1808. One of the oldest ranches in Texas, the land Perez described that long ago summer day would stay in the same family well into the 1990s.

Ranching already had a strong foothold in Texas even before Perez began raising stock along the Medina. Capt. Blas Maria de la Garza Falcon established the Rancho Carnestolendas in 1752 on the Rio Grande where the future town of Rio Grande City would rise nearly a century later. Spanish ranchos along the Rio Grande and stock-raising operations along the San Antonio and Guadalupe rivers, which supplied beef to the missions in San Antonio and Goliad, constituted the beginning of the American cattle industry.

Also in the early 1750s, one of the San Antonio missions, San Francisco de la Espada, established a ranch about 30 miles away near present-day Floresville in Wilson County. Named Rancho de las Cabras (Ranch of the Goats), the new ranch did not represent any desire for expansion or efficiency on the part of the Spanish friars, but came as a response to complaints from San Antonio residents who grew tired of mission cattle trampling their crops. By 1756, the fortress-like ranch had 700 head of cattle, nearly 2,000 sheep, and a remuda of more than 100 horses. Three decades later, Texas still a Spanish province, a ranch connected to one of the Goliad missions had 50,000 head of cattle.

With the closing of the missions, private ranching developed as Texas attracted more settlers.

James Taylor LaBlanc&mdasha Louisianan who Texanized his last name to White&mdashfounded the first Anglo-owned cattle ranch in Texas in 1828 near Anahuac in present-day Chambers County. From an initial stock of only a dozen cattle, White grew his herd to some 10,000 head. One visitor to White&rsquos ranch in the 1840s described the stock as &ldquopure Spanish breed&rdquo (longhorns).

White not only pioneered cattle-raising in Southeast Texas, he developed what would stand for many years as the industry&rsquos prime business model&mdashtrailing cattle from the ranch where they were raised to market. Following the Texas Revolution, White and his cowhands drove cattle to buyers in New Orleans, more than 300 miles to the east.

No trace remains of White&rsquos ranch, but Texas today has more ranches and more cattle than any other state. Texas being Texas, the state also has some of the largest ranches in the world. How much land it takes for a particular holding to be considered a ranch as opposed to simply a piece of rural property depends on its location.

In his book Historic Ranches of Texas, historian Lawrence Clayton wrote that a piece of land in East Texas with good creek or river frontage can support a cow per acre in years of normal precipitation. With that ratio, Clayton said, a landowner could justifiably call only a few hundred acres a ranch.

Along the 98th meridian, the eastern edge of the half of Texas that sees the least rainfall even in wet years, it takes 20&ndash25 acres per cow. Farther west, the ratio increases three to four times. Accordingly, ranches in West Texas often are described by the number of sections they cover, not acres. (A section is 640 acres, or one square mile.)

The Texas Department of Agriculture says the state has 247,500 farms and ranches totaling 130.4 million acres. For 37 years, the department&rsquos Family Land Heritage Program has been honoring families whose farms or ranches have been in continuous family ownership for more than 100 years. As of 2012, the agency has recognized 5,020 such properties.

Most of the land holdings listed by TDA are known only to their owners and families, or in their local area. But some Texas ranches&mdashpast and present&mdashare Lone Star icons, as much a part of the state&rsquos image as bluebonnets, oil wells, or rangy longhorns. These are some of Texas&rsquos most historic ranches:

The King Ranch reigns not only as Texas&rsquos largest spread (825,000 acres), it also has a larger-than-life history, an epic tale told over the years in numerous books, articles, and films, including a definitive volume, The King Ranch, by artist and author Tom Lea.

This 1952 photo shows Bob Kleberg trading cattle in McMullen County for the King Ranch. UNT Portal of Texas History.

Though the state&rsquos best-known ranch is named for founder Captain Richard King (1824&ndash1885)&mdashan Irish immigrant who came to Texas by way of New York and who piloted steamboats on the lower Rio Grande&mdashit could have turned out differently.

When King met newspaperman and former Texas Ranger Gideon K. &ldquoLegs&rdquo Lewis in Corpus Christi in 1853, the two men decided to go into the cattle business together. They set up a fortified cow camp on high ground near a spring at the head of Santa Gertrudis Creek about 45 miles southwest of Corpus Christi. That summer King bought 15,500 acres for $300, and in November 1853, he sold Lewis an undivided half-interest in the land for $2,000.

Lewis bought some additional land nearby and in turn sold King half-interest. In less than a year, the two men owned more than 68,000 acres and a substantial herd of cattle and horses, called the Santa Gertrudis Ranch.

The partnership likely would have continued had not Lewis, a handsome man with an eye for pretty women, become involved with the wife of a Corpus Christi doctor. The offended doctor prescribed for Lewis a lethal dose of buckshot. With no heirs, Lewis&rsquos estate&mdashwhich included his half interest in the South Texas ranch&mdashwent on the auction block at the Nueces County Courthouse. King successfully bid on Lewis&rsquos share of the ranch, and any possibility that the property would come to be known as the King-Lewis Ranch was as dead as the ex-ranger.

Captain King and his wife, Henrietta Chamberlain King, continued to acquire land over the years. In the spring of 1874, only a couple of decades after its founding, King Ranch gained national publicity when newspapers across the country published a column-long piece on the ranch headlined, &ldquoA Little Texas Farm.&rdquo The anonymous writer observed&mdashquite presciently

&mdashthat, &ldquoThe whole of this immense scope of country consists of the finest pasture lands in Western Texas, and must some future day be of almost incalculable value.&rdquo

When King died in 1885, Henrietta, with help from her husband&rsquos advisors, managed the ranch for a year. In 1886, she appointed her new son-in-law, Robert Kleberg, ranch manager. By the time of Henrietta&rsquos death in 1925, the ranch consisted of well over 1.25 million acres and supported 125,000 head of cattle and 2,500 horses. Robert Kleberg ran the ranch until his health declined. In 1918, Robert Kleberg Jr. (Mr. Bob) took the reins and continued as manager well after his father&rsquos death in 1932.

Though King initially stocked his ranch with the wild longhorns then common all over South Texas, by crossbreeding Shorthorns and Brahmas, the ranch developed its own breed of cattle, the Santa Gertrudis. It is the first American breed of beef cattle recognized by the USDA (in 1940) and was the first new breed to be recognized worldwide in more than a century. In 1994, the ranch introduced the King Ranch Santa Cruz, a composite breed developed to meet the modern consumers&rsquo beef expectations.

Under the leadership of Robert Kleberg Jr., who studied genetics in college and had an avid interest in livestock breeding, the King Ranch also achieved a legacy with both Thoroughbred and Quarter horses. By acquiring and breeding superior foundation stallions, the King Ranch Quarter Horse program produced Wimpy, which was awarded the number-one registration in the American Quarter Horse Association Stud Book and Registry, as well as Mr. San Peppy and Peppy San Badger, two of the all-time leading money-making sires in the National Cutting Horse Association.

In addition to its Quarter Horse lineage, the ranch produced numerous prized Thoroughbreds, including Assault, the 1946 Triple Crown winner (the only Texas horse to win the Triple Crown), and Middleground, the 1950 winner of the Kentucky Derby and Belmont Stakes.

Organized as a private corporation in 1934, King Ranch land in South Texas was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961 by the U.S. Department of the Interior. Its properties near Kingsville cover nearly 1,300 square miles on four divisions&mdashSanta Gertrudis, Laureles, Norias, and Encino&mdashand is larger than the state of Rhode Island. These divisions are located in six counties (Brooks, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Nueces, and Willacy) and contain terrain that varies from fertile black farmland to low-lying coastal marshes to mesquite pastures that mark the beginning of the Texas brush country.

King Ranch is still owned by the descendants of its founder and, today, is a diversified agribusiness corporation, with interests in cattle ranching, feedlot operations, farming (cotton, milo, sugar cane, and turfgrass), citrus groves, pecan processing, commodity marketing, and recreational hunting. Its retail operations include luggage, leather goods and home furnishings, farm equipment, commercial printing, and ecotourism.

One summer day in 1876, Charles Goodnight and a Mexican guide, who had told Goodnight of a giant canyon that nature had gouged through the High Plains, reined their horses at the rim of Palo Duro Canyon, south of present-day Amarillo. Taking in the vastness that lay before him, the former Texas Ranger and pioneer cattleman immediately realized he had found perhaps the best location for a ranch anywhere in the Southwest. The canyon&rsquos steep walls afforded a natural fence, and on its floor ample water flowing along the Prairie Dog Fork of the Red River would keep the mouths of his livestock wet and nourish the grass that would fill their bellies.

That visit marked the beginning of the JA Ranch, which Goodnight founded later that year with Irish-born investor John George Adair, who operated out of Denver. What began as a high-interest loan evolved into a business partnership, with Adair having two-thirds interest in the ranch and Goodnight the other third plus a salary for managing the property. Growing from an initial herd of 1,600 cattle on 2,500 acres, at its peak, the ranch grazed 100,000 head on 1.3 million acres extending across six Panhandle counties.

When Adair died in 1885, his widow, Cornelia Wadsworth Ritchie, assumed her late husband&rsquos ownership of the sprawling ranch. Two years later, Goodnight quit the partnership and started his own ranch. The ranch is still owned by Adair heirs.

At its largest, the King Ranch never covered more than a third the size of the storied XIT&mdasha Panhandle ranch that no longer exists. However, the XIT&rsquos failure to survive into the modern era does not diminish its significance to Texas history.

XIT cowboys, 1891. UNT Portal of Texas History.

Its founders were bean-counting businessmen from Chicago, not rugged individualists like Richard King, and by the time the ranch started stringing barbed wire across its vast holdings, the buffalo and the Indians had vanished from the High Plains like so many mirages. What makes the ranch unique is its connection to the red-granite State Capitol in Austin. Then cash poor but land rich, the state conveyed public land in the far northwest corner of the Panhandle to the group of investors in 1882 to finance construction of the new statehouse, an imposing structure that would architecturally rival the nation&rsquos Capitol.

Once the biggest ranch in the world, the XIT spread over 3 million acres and stretched nearly 200 miles long and up to 30 miles wide from Hockley County on the south all the way north to the Oklahoma border. The ranch covered parts of ten High Plains counties. At its height, enclosed by 6,000 miles of barbed wire fence, the ranch ran 150,000 head of cattle, had 1,500 horses, and kept 150 cowboys on its payroll.

In the early 1900s, the XIT&rsquos owners&mdashstruggling for a return on investment they had yet to realize&mdashdecided to discontinue raising cattle. Their strategy would be to make back their money by breaking up the huge acreage the syndicate owned and selling smaller parcels as ranches or farms. Two-thirds of the ranch had been sold by 1906, and by 1912, the last XIT cattle had been sent to market. The final piece of XIT land was conveyed to another owner in 1963.

Matador Ranch

The Matador Ranch is the third historic Texas ranch that once had more than a million acres inside its fence lines. Col. Alfred M. Britton, his nephew Cata (whose full name seems to have been lost to history), Henry Harrison Campbell, Spottswood W. Lomax, and John W. Nichols founded the ranch in 1879. By 1882, the Matador consisted of 1.5 million acres west of Wichita Falls in Cottle, Dickens, Floyd, and Motley counties. Later that year, several investors from Scotland bought the ranch, renaming it the Matador Land and Cattle Co.

Under its Scottish management, the ranch prospered and grew. At its peak period of operation, the company controlled 3 million acres, counting substantial holdings in Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Canada.

By 1951, the ranch had been sold down to roughly 800,000 acres. Lazard Freres and Co. of London bought the ranch and then subdivided it for resale. A year later, Fred C. Koch, co-founder of what later became Koch Industries, purchased a substantial amount of Matador acreage. When Koch died in 1967, his son Charles inherited the business. Today, the ranch is owned by the Matador Cattle Co., a division of the Koch Agricultural Co. In addition to continuing its long history as a cattle and horse-raising operation, the Matador offers paid hunting and guest lodging.

Four Sixes Ranch

Legend holds that Samuel Burk Burnett won the Four Sixes Ranch in a poker game holding a nearly unbeatable hand of four sixes. That makes a great story, but the 6666 brand that gave the ranch its name traces to 1868, when the then 19-year-old Burnett bought 100 head of cattle with 6666 burned on their flanks from a cattleman in Denton County.

Four Sixes cowboys. Undated, UNT Portal of Texas History.

Originally from Missouri, Burnett drove longhorn herds up the Chisholm Trail from South Texas and ranched elsewhere on leased land before acquiring the acreage in King County in 1900 that became the Four Sixes. During its peak years, the Four Sixes had four separate divisions sprawling across nearly a third of a million acres.

In 1917, Burnett built a $100,000 ranch house at Guthrie to serve as residence for his manager and guests, as well as ranch headquarters. Stone quarried on the ranch went into the construction of the giant 11-bedroom structure, which Burnett rightly called &ldquothe finest ranch house in West Texas.&rdquo

Three years later, though Burnett already was a wealthy man, producing oil wells came in on his Dixon Creek Ranch near the town of Panhandle in Carson County. Shortly before his death in 1922, Burnett opined that oil might make a rancher more money than cattle.

The Burnett family holdings now consist of 275,000 acres, including the Dixon Creek Ranch. Today the ranch still raises cattle and thoroughbred quarter horses. The current owner is Burnett&rsquos great-granddaughter, Anne Burnett Windfohr Marion.

Swenson Ranches

Swedish immigrant Swante M. Swenson, who came to Texas in 1838, personified the American rags-to-riches dream. When he arrived virtually pennyless in the U.S., he didn&rsquot even speak English. When he died in 1896, he owned one of Texas&rsquos largest and most famous ranches, the SMS.

As a merchant and hotelier in Austin in the 1850s, Swenson began acquiring vast tracts of public land well beyond the frontier line in unsettled West Texas. Forced to leave Texas in 1863 because of his opposition to secession, Swenson stayed in Mexico until after the Civil War. Moving to New York, he began a banking business.

Meanwhile, Swenson retained all his inexpensively purchased land in Texas. But that asset became a liability when the Texas Legislature began organizing new counties in West Texas and his extensive land holdings suddenly became subject to taxation.

In 1881, he tried to sell all his Texas real estate but either couldn&rsquot find a buyer or didn&rsquot like the offers he got. Determined to begin realizing a return on his investment, in 1882, Swenson turned management of his property over to his two sons, Eric and S. Albin Swenson. After visiting the Texas property for the first time, they divided the land into three ranches that Swenson named after his children: Ericksdahl, Mount Albin, and Elenora. Later, the Elenora was renamed the Throckmorton Ranch and Mount Albin became the Flat Top Ranch.

The Swensons, having found that they could make money off their property, continued to buy land, including in 1898 the Tongue River Ranch in King, Motley, and Dickens counties.

In 1902, the Swensons hired Frank S. Hastings as SMS manager. Over the next 20 years, Hastings produced and marketed high-grade beef and brought about numerous ranching innovations. A pioneer public relations practitioner, Hastings crafted the ranch&rsquos slogan, &ldquoIt takes a great land to produce great beef!&rdquo

The Swensons donated land for the town of Stamford on the Jones-Haskell county line, built a hotel, attracted a rail line, and even assisted in getting the town a Carnegie Library. In 1924, they constructed a brick-and-stone office building in Stamford to serve as the ranch headquarters.

Swenson family members also played a prominent role in organizing the Texas Cowboy Reunion in 1930, a rodeo and celebration held in Stamford every July 4th weekend since then. Over the years, many of the old cowboys honored at the event were waddies who had spent their entire career on one of the Swenson ranches.

In 1978, the Swenson family split the SMS Ranches into four separate companies, each owned by a group of family members. Since then, the ranches have been sold outside the family.

Through the 1920s, if a person wanted to take a deer off someone&rsquos land, about all he needed to do was ask. But starting in the 1930s, with cattle prices suppressed by a national depression, it occurred to some ranchers that they could charge for the privilege of hunting on their land. Today, some Texas ranches make a large portion of their income by leasing land for hunting, or charging by the day or by the game animal.

One of the first ranches to diversify in this way is also one of Texas&rsquos most historic, the famed YO Ranch in Kerr County.

Former Texas Ranger captain Charles A. Schreiner acquired more than a half million acres on the Edwards Plateau beginning in 1880. He got his start rounding up and selling longhorns, but diversified into banking and retail sales. In 1914, he divided his holdings among his eight children.

Son Walter got 69,000 acres about 40 miles west of Kerrville, the property still known as the YO. Walter managed the ranch through the terrible drought of 1917&ndash1918 and into the Great Depression. When he died in 1933, his widow, Myrtle Schreiner, took over the operation of the ranch. A particularly forward-thinking businesswoman, she is credited with being the first Texas rancher to come up with the idea of leasing a ranch for deer and turkey hunting.

Her son Charles Schreiner III began managing the ranch in the 1950s about the time a drought even worse than the 1917 dry spell took hold. Money earned from hunters helped mitigate the impact of the drought on the ranch. Later, Schreiner started a registry for longhorn cattle and almost single-handedly saved the historic breed. He also introduced imported exotic wildlife to the ranch, pioneering another new way to make money off the land by offering hunts for trophy African game animals in the Texas Hill Country.

Schreiner&rsquos son Louie took over operation of the ranch in the late 1980s. Following Louie&rsquos death, Charles IV and his wife, Mary, began running the ranch, which continues to flourish as a hunting and outdoor recreation destination, as well as a working traditional ranch.

The Waggoner Ranch

While not as well known as the King Ranch, this Northwest Texas spread is three years older and at 550,000 acres, more than half its size. But unlike the King Ranch, which is made up of several non-contiguous divisions, the Waggoner Ranch is Texas&rsquos largest cattle fiefdom behind a single fence. It stretches from near Wichita Falls eastward to Vernon, covering parts of Archer, Baylor, Foard, Knox, Wichita, and Wilbarger counties.

Dan Waggoner acquired 15,000 acres in 1850 in Wise County, registering a brand for his longhorns that consisted of three backward-facing Ds. Four years later, he dropped two of the Ds, but for years the Waggoner Ranch was best known as the Three D Ranch.

When Waggoner died in 1903, his son W.T. took over operation of the property. In 1910, he divided the ranch among his children, but in 1923 the holdings were reunited and placed into a family trust.

Cowboy humorist Will Rogers was a close friend of the Waggoner family and often visited the ranch. &ldquoI see there&rsquos an oil well for every cow,&rdquo Rogers famously observed on one visit to the ranch in the early 1930s.

Rogers&rsquo comment aside, Texas etiquette holds that it&rsquos impolite to ask a rancher how many acres or sections he owns. Nor is it considered proper to inquire as to how many head a rancher runs on his place. One writer found that out when he visited the ranch in the early 1960s. When he asked a long-time Waggoner hand how many cattle grazed on the Three D, he replied, &ldquoNot as many as before the drought of the fifties.&rdquo So, how many cattle was the ranch running on the place prior to the drought, the writer asked. &ldquoMore than now,&rdquo the cowboy answered.

Like its top-tier peers, the Waggoner Ranch raises cattle and quarter horses, its bottom line bolstered by oil and gas production. The company also has round 26,000 acres in cultivation.

Its cow herd is approximately 60 percent straight Hereford with 40 percent Angus-Hereford and Brangus-Hereford cross. Horses are bred for ranch work, and many still carry the bloodline of the famous quarter horse Poco Bueno.

Since its origin in the mid-1700s when Texas was a Spanish colonial province, ranching in Texas has changed dramatically. But writer-academician J. Frank Dobie, a man who grew up on a South Texas ranch before deciding that wrangling words and students beat punching cattle, remained bullish on the industry, and ranches in particular.

&ldquoAs long as Western land grows grass but does not receive enough rainfall to make farming practicable,&rdquo he wrote in Up the Trail from Texas, &ldquothere will be cattle ranches and cowboys.&rdquo

&ndash written by Mike Cox for the Texas Almanac 2014&ndash2015. Mr. Cox is an author of many books, articles, and columns about Texas.


How to Order a Driver Record

You may order a driver record for a Texas driver license, commercial driver license or identification card online or by mail. The Department cannot provide in-person driver record services at any of our locations. To determine the types of driver records available, see below.

If you would like to review the current status of your driver license, please visit our driver eligibility page.

Order Your Driver Record Online

The most convenient way to obtain a driver record is online. To order a record online, you must know the type of driver record you need and have the following information available to begin the online transaction.

  1. Your most recently issued Texas driver license, commercial driver license or identification card number, and the audit number from that card (See below to locate your audit number) or be able to answer security questions to verify your identity
  2. Your date of birth
  3. Last 4 digits of your Social Security Number
  4. Adobe Reader (Download Adobe Reader)
  5. The latest version of one of the following browsers*:
    1. Google Chrome
    2. Internet Explorer
    3. Mozilla Firefox
    4. سفاري

    *The Microsoft Edge Browser is not compatible with this service at this time. If you utilize Microsoft Edge to purchase your record, you will not be able to print. Please use one of the approved browsers listed above to complete your request.

    Order your driver record online and print or email instantly

    Companies that want to order driver records may email License and Record Service for information.

    Order a Driver Record by Mail

    To order a driver record by mail, complete a driver record request form (PDF) by following the instructions on the form and submit with the appropriate payment to:

    Texas Department of Public Safety
    PO Box 149008
    Austin, Texas 78714-9008

    Please allow three weeks from the date your request is received for processing. For more information on Driver Record services please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

    Driver Record Type

    معلومة

    اكتب 1
    Status record
    $4.00

    النوع 2
    3-year history
    $6.00

    • Type 1 information, plus
    • List of crashes (if a ticket was received), and all moving violations for three years from date of offense.

    Type 2A
    Certified 3-year history
    $10.00

    • Certified version of type 2.
    • This record type لا تستطيع be used for a defensive driving course (DDC).

    Type 3
    List of all crashes and violations
    $7.00

    • Type 1 information, plus
    • List of all crashes (even if no ticket was received), and all moving and nonmoving violations in the record.
    • Type 3 is provided only to the person the record belongs to.
    • This record type لا تستطيع be used for a defensive driving course (DDC).

    Type 3A
    Certified list of all crashes and violations
    $10.00

    • Certified version of type 3.
    • Type 3A is provided only to the person the record belongs to.
    • This is the only record type that can be used for a defensive driving course (DDC).

    Type AR
    Certified abstract of complete driver record
    $20.00

    • Type 3 information, plus
    • All suspensions in the record.
    • Type AR contains all information in a driver record.

    For questions about Crash Reports and Records, contact the Texas Department of Transportation.


    Texas State Historical Association

    Organized in Austin on March 2, 1897, the Texas State Historical Association is the oldest learned society in the state. Its mission is to "foster the appreciation, understanding, and teaching of the rich and unique history of Texas and, by example and through programs and activities, encourage and promote research, preservation, and publication of historical material affecting the state of Texas."

    Contributions

    The association's publications include the Southwestern Historical Quarterly, more than 150 scholarly books, the Texas Almanac, and the well-known Handbook of Texas Online. The online Handbook, the nation's preeminent state history encyclopedia, attracts 400,000 visitors per month from more than 200 countries and territories around the world. Through its varied education programs, the Association directly serves more than 50,000 elementary through college-aged students each year, while indirectly reaching an additional 86,000 through its teacher training opportunities.

    اتصل

    عنوان

    Texas State Historical Association
    3001 Lake Austin Blvd.
    Suite 3.116
    Austin, TX 78703


    شاهد الفيديو: مقارنة بين ولاية كاليفورنيا وولاية تكساس